Global Education Office (GEO)2120 Mesa Vista HallMSC06 3850 1 University of New MexicoAlbuquerque, NM 87131-0001Phone (505) 277-4032 Fax (505) 277-1867Email [email protected] Web: MEXICO DRIVER’S LICENSEAND STATE IDIf you want to obtain a First-Time New Mexico Driver’s License or State Identification Card (ID), The NMMotor Vehicles Department (MVD) requires all International Students who are not eligible for a Social SecurityNumber to schedule an appointment. You will be required to select appointment type “First Time ForeignNational DL/ID” at: ATTENTION!! New Mexico started issuing two kinds of driving permits in November 2016. The Driver’s Licensecan be used as a federal ID to board an airplane or enter a government facility, but may be limited in duration forinternational students and scholars based on their Visa expiration date. The second permit, the DriverAuthorization Card (DAC), cannot be used for federal purposes but can be issued for up to 4 or 8 years. Whenyou apply, you will need to CHOOSE whether you want the permit/ID to use for federal purposes or the DAC/IDfor state purposes only. You need to know which one you will be applying for and bring the required documentson the attached list for the correct type of permit/ID BEFORE YOU GO. Because the rules are new, there is a lotof confusion at MVD offices, we recommend you schedule an appointment at this location since they are the mostfamiliar with International Student documents: 5301 Central Ave NE Ste 100 Albuquerque, NM 87108Be prepared to bring all the required documents on your appointment day, failure to do so will result in having toreschedule an appointment for a later date. Please read this handout in its entirety and check the list of requireddocuments attached.I. EXPLANATIONWe recommend that you obtain at least one form of U.S. identification in order to avoid carrying your passport with you;this can be any type of Driver’s License or ID issued by the state of NM. You will need it for writing checks, using creditcards, ordering or purchasing alcohol, or entering a bar or night club.If you plan to drive in New Mexico, you MUST have a driver’s license with you each time you drive a vehicle. If youhave a valid driver’s license from your home country or an international driver’s license, you may drive with that licenseuntil you become a resident of NM. You are considered a state resident for this purpose once you have lived here formore than six months. It is likely that if you are stopped or questioned by a police officer, they may not recognize thedriver’s license from your home country. Therefore, if you plan to live here for more than 6 months and drive a car, wehighly recommend that you obtain a license. The fee varies from 18- 34, depending on the length of time it is issued.If you do not apply for a driver’s license, you should consider obtaining a state ID card; it looks just like a driver’slicense and is also issued by the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD), but is only for identification purposes. To obtain the IDgo to an MVD office and take the documents listed below for the correct kind. You may even consider getting one foryour children.II. CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONSDocuments: To obtain either type of license or ID you will need to bring your current passport, unexpired visa, I-94printout, Social Security Card if you have one, I-20/DS-2019, and two documents showing your physical address asproof of New Mexico residence (such as a rental agreement, bank statement with your full street address, utility bill orMVD letter from GEO), see “Documentation Requirements” attached. You may also want to take a translated andnotarized version of your home country license if you have one (please see “Previous Licenses” in the next section).Note that MVD personnel are often not well informed about requirements for non-immigrants in lawful status who wantto obtain a license or ID, so we suggest you visit the MVD Office location listed above since this is the only office in thestate that helps process Driver Licenses and ID’s for members of the international community.US Social Security Number: MVD personnel will ask you for a social security number. You are not required to have asocial security number to be issued a driver’s license or state identification card. If you do have a Social Securitynumber, bring it with you – you can use it for identification. Otherwise, the items listed in the other two columns of theattached list will suffice.

III. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATIONPrevious LicensesIn most cases you will need to pass a written test, an eye exam, and a road test to obtain the driver’s license. However, ifyou already have a license from your home country, you may not have to take the road test. If your home license is not inEnglish, you will need to have it translated and notarized before you can be exempt from the road test. You cannottranslate the document yourself. Notary services are available at GEO by calling 505-277-4032. To have your translateddocument notarized, the translator must present the translation to a notary in-person and show a valid, government-issuedphoto ID. The appropriate notary certificate must be included with your translation.If you have a valid license from another US state, you can use that as a form of ID. Please note that if you opt to present aprevious driver’s license from the US or your home country, NM law requires you to surrender it during the applicationprocess for a NM driver’s license—a hole will be punched through your old license to render it invalid before it isreturned to you. If you want to avoid surrendering your home country license or license from another US state, you canopt to take the road test.Owning a VehicleOwning a car in the US is expensive. All automobiles must be registered with the state Motor Vehicle Division andregistration fees vary depending on the year and type of car. Also, it is mandatory that all automobile operators carryproof of liability insurance for the automobile they are driving. For car buying tips and other important information go to unm/getting around/car buying.htmlIV. APPLICATION PROCESSSTEP 1: Make an appointment.If you do not have a US Social Security number (SSN), make an appointment /. If you already have an SSN, you can go directly to any MVDoffice, but we suggest you also schedule an appointment at the MVD office in Central and San Mateo for easierprocessing (do not go to an “MVD Express office” as they cannot process licenses/Id’s for non-US-Citizens).STEP 2: Determine if the None for the Road Drunk Driving Awareness Program applies to you.If you are under 25 years of age and this is your first New Mexico driver’s license, you must complete the None for theRoad DWI Awareness Program before you apply for the license. The fee is 25.00 (non-refundable) and it is a selftaught class administered by UNM Continuing Education. You can pay and complete the coursework online then takeyour payment verification number to the local MVD office to complete the final exam on one of their testing computers.To register for the course, go online at or call (505) 277-0051 for additionalinformation.STEP 3: If necessary, take the written testObtain the New Mexico Driver’s Manual from any of the MVD offices or online (in English and Spanish) .php. This booklet covers all the driving regulations that you needto know in order to pass the written test, so study it carefully. You will need to pass this test before taking the road test.The written test is usually available half an hour before your scheduled road test. However, if you do not pass it, you willneed to reschedule the driving test.STEP 4: If necessary, take the road testYou need to make an appointment to take the road test and bring a vehicle (someone else must drive you to the test if youdo not have a license). An examiner will accompany you for a brief on-the-road test of your driving skills. The car youare driving for the road test must have current registration and insurance and be in good condition. You must also pass avision test when you go in to take the road test.V. DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES DIVISION (MVD) OFFICESAlthough you can visit any MVD office, we highly recommend you apply at the Central and San Mateo office due totheir familiarity with documentation from International Students. You can only be seen at this location with a scheduledappointment:5301 Central Ave NE Ste 100(First floor inside the Bank of the West white & gold tall building)Albuquerque, NM 87108Phone: 505-841-6490GENERAL MVD INFORMATION PHONE NUMBER: 1-888-683-4636 or

Basic Documentation Requirements:REAL ID Driver's LicenseNEW MEXICO 0 DRIVER'S LICENSE:ll m. .999999999o.,to or a.nn 0 3!0 1I 19 57ISSUEDE.XPIRF.S0810112016OJ/3112025SAMPLELAN IInstATe STl!f.ElALUUQUEROUE, NM t/102Identification Number(1) requiredSocial Security Card (Present SSN if you have one)W-2 FormSSA-1099 FormNon-SSA-1099 FormPay stub w/applicant's name and full SSNValid Foreign Passport w/ valid U.S. Visaaffixed w/ I-94 Form*Maiden Name/Name Changes- If your passport oridentity document contains your current legal name,you do not need to provide proof of a name change.If your proof of identity document does not containyour current full legal name, you MUST presentdocumentation of any name change(s). This mayinclude a marriage certificate, divorce decree,adoption records or court order. The MVD uses thefull legal name as listed on the document.A United States citizen, UnitedStates national, permanentresident alien, or a person who islawfully in the United States canchoose to apply for a dl'ivingauthorization card or anidentification card that is notacceptable for federal purposes.Anyone unable to provideevidence lhal he or she is lawfullyin the United States is onlyeligible for a drivingauthorization card or anidentification card that is notacceptable for federal purposes.Identity(1) requiredResidency(2) required (all ages)Lawful Status DocumentsPhysical Address ONLYValid U.S. PassportValid U.S. Passport CardValid Foreign Passport w/I-551 StampOriginal or certified copy of a birth certificatefiled with a state office of Vital StatisticsConsular Report of Birth Abroad FS-240, DS1350, or FS-545Valid Permanent Resident Card I-551Certificate of Naturalization N-550 or N-570Certificate of Citizenship N-560 or N-561Valid Employment Authorization document I766 or I-688BValid Foreign Passport w/ valid U.S. Visaaffixed w/ I-94 fonnREAL ID act of 2005 Driver's License or lDcard w/Valid immigrant or nonimmigrant visastatus for admission into the United StatesPending or approved application forasylum in the U.S.Admission into the U.S. as a refugeePending or approved application fortemporary protected status in the U.S.Approved deferred action statusPending application for adjustment ofstatus to legal pennanent resident orconditional residentConditional permanent resident alienstatusOther documents as DHS may designateby notice published in the Federal RegisterCurrent real property rental orpurchase agreementUtility bill dated w/ in 60 days, nocell phone billsInsurance bill, card or binder,dated w/ in 60 monthsBank or credit card statement,dated w/ in 60 daysEmployment pay stub containingapplicant's name and address,dated w/ in 60 daysCurrent local property taxstatement or mortgage documentDocumentation from an educationinstitution, such as transcripts,report card, or enrollmentconfirmation, dated w/ in 60 daysOriginal documents from city,county, state, tribal, or federalgovernment organization attestingto the fact that the applicant is aNM resident, dated w/ in 60 daysNM Medical or Public assistancecard w/ address on card, letterfrom issuing agency that camewith card showing name andaddress, or profile printout fromissuing agency, dated w/ in 60daysApplicants under 18may also provide:Documents indicatingmembership in a Ntv! religiousor sports organizationAffidavit ofNM Residency (FormMVD-10021)

Driving Authorization Card (DAC)NOT FORNEW MEXICO DRIVING AUTHORIZATION CARDor,c 999999999o t olll111h 03101/1957SAMPLELAN IH3 STATE STRf;ETAUl\JOVEROti!f; tlt.l a1!02· ;,"""'s·oo · YES BRO V IX ' SHI H HONEz :\,!'itsnx:nON-. 140NEIdentificationNumber(1) required(Present SSN if you have one)Social Security CardW-2 FormSSA-1099 FormNon-SSA-1 099Pay stub w/applicant' sname and full SSNNote: If NM License issuspended or revoked butcustomer has an Interlockor Limited license nofingerprints required.Fingerprints Required:Fingerprints will be required forthe issuance of a Driver'sAuthorization Card/ID (DAC)when the driver is unable to providedocumentation of lawful statusand their New Mexico Driver'sLicense has expired. If driver hasan Interlock or Limited license nofingerprints will be requiredto obtain an Interlock or LimitedDAC. If driver is from out ofstate, no fingerprints will berequired if the driver can providedocumentation of lawful statusID or ID Number(1) required,(2) required if no SS#ID or ID Number(1) required,(2) required if no SS#Residency(2) Required (all ages)Passport or Passport Cardfrom the applicant's countryof citizenshipOriginal or Certified copy of abirth certificate filed with astate office of Vital StatisticsConsular report of birthabroad issued by the U.S.Dept. of State form FS-240,DS-1350, or FS-545Valid EmploymentAuthorization document I-766or I-6888lD Card issued by theConsulate of Mexico in ElPaso, TX or Albuquerque,NM, or other consulate withwhich NM MVD can reliablyverify document's authenticityIndividual Tax IdentificationNumber (ITIN)Certified letter of enrollmentor valid ID card issued by afederally recognized Indiannation, tribe or puebloID document issued by theU.S. Veterans Administration,