FOR YOURBENEFIT:California’sPrograms for theUnemployedUnemployment InsuranceDisability InsurancePaid Family LeaveWorkforce ServicesDE 2320 Rev. 65 (12-20) (INTERNET)Cover 19 pagesCU

For Your Benefit: California’s Programsfor the UnemployedThis publication provides information about programs offered by theEmployment Development Department (EDD) for unemployed Californians.This is for general information only and it is not a legal document.Additional information is available by visiting the EDD online ( Insurance (UI) . 2UI benefits provide partial wage replacement to workers who areunemployed through no fault of their own.State Disability Insurance (SDI) . 13Disability Insurance (DI) is part of SDI and provides partial wagereplacement benefits to workers who are unable to work due to a nonwork-related illness or injury, pregnancy, or childbirth.Paid Family Leave (PFL) . 14PFL is part of SDI and provides partial wage replacement benefits toworkers who need time off to care for a seriously ill family member,bond with a new child, or to assist a family member during aqualifying military event.Workforce Services . 14The EDD’s Workforce Services Branch provides a range of employmentservices for job seekers and employers.How to Get Help . 19DE 2320 (INTERNET)Page 1 of 19

Unemployment Insurance (UI)UI is paid for by your employer and provides partial wage replacementwhen you are unemployed and meet all eligibility requirements.Who Should File a UI ClaimYou may file a claim for UI benefits if you are out of work or your hourshave been reduced.To be eligible for UI benefits, you must have earned enough wages duringthe base period to establish a claim, and be: Totally or partially unemployed. Unemployed through no fault of your own. Physically able to work. Available for work. Ready and willing to accept work immediately. Actively looking for work.When to FileYou may apply for benefits as soon as you are unemployed or your workhours are reduced. Your claim will begin on the Sunday of the week inwhich you file your claim.All claims have a one-week, unpaid waiting period. The waiting perioddoes not begin until you file a claim, certify for benefits, and meet alleligibility requirements.What You Need to FileTo file a claim, you need to provide your: Name, (including all names you used while working) and SocialSecurity number. Mailing and residence address (if different) and phone number. Last employer’s complete name, address (mailing and physicallocation), and phone number. Last day worked and the reason you’re no longer working (laid off,quit, fired, or left work because of a trade dispute). Work history during the 18 months prior to filing your claim, includingout-of-state employment. Include all employers’ names, datesemployed, and wages earned. State-issued driver license number or identification card number. Citizenship status and if you have the legal right to work in theUnited States. If you indicate you’re registered with the United StatesCitizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly INS) andauthorized to work in the United States, you’ll be asked for the title ofyour employment authorization document and information from theUSCIS document, such as the Alien Registration Number, card number,and/or expiration date.DE 2320 (INTERNET)Page 2 of 19

Note: Your last employer’s name and address are very important, regardlessof how long you worked for the employer(s). If you worked part-time,provide the number of hours you worked each week.If you served in the military in the last 18 months, you will need to provideinformation from your DD214 Member Copy 4.If you worked for the federal government during the last 18 months, youwill need to provide information from your Notice to Federal EmployeesAbout Unemployment Insurance, Standard Form 8.WarningMaking a false statement or withholding information to receive benefits canbe a felony. Penalties may include fines, a loss of benefits, and/or criminalprosecution. See additional information on fraud and penalties on page 12.Employer NotificationYour last employer is notified when you file a UI claim. Although youreligibility is determined by the EDD, employers fund the UI programand are required by law to provide any information that may affect youreligibility to receive benefits.Types of ClaimsThe claim you file depends on the type of employer you worked for andthe state(s) where you worked.You will file a: Regular California claim if you only worked in California, even if younow live outside of California. Federal claim if your employment was in civilian work for the federalgovernment. Military claim if you served as a member of the United States ArmedForces. Combined wage claim if you earned wages in California and in at leastone other state during the last 18 months. Interstate claim if you now reside in California and only worked inanother state during the last 18 months. File your claim directly withthe other state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or Canada. If youworked in the U.S. Virgin Islands, contact the EDD at 1-800-300-5616.How to FileYou may file a UI claim using one of the following methods: OnlineUI OnlineSM is the fastest and most convenient way to file your UIclaim. Visit UI OnlineSM ( Online) to get started.DE 2320 (INTERNET)Page 3 of 19

PhoneSpeak to an EDD representative Monday through Friday between 8a.m. and 12 noon (Pacific Time), except on state holidays. Refer topage 19 for a list of UI phone numbers. Fax or MailWhen filing a claim with UI Online some customers will be instructedto fax or mail their UI application to the EDD. If this occurs, the paperUnemployment Insurance Application (DE 1101I) will display for youto complete and submit.For faster and more secure processing, fax the completed form tothe number listed on the form. If mailing your UI application, use theaddress on the form and allow additional time for processing.Beginning Date of ClaimYour claim begins on the Sunday of the week in which you file your claim.Ending Date of ClaimYour claim ends on the Saturday, 52 weeks after your claim begins. If youexhaust your benefits prior to this date, you cannot file another Californiaclaim until the benefit year of the claim ends.If you worked in another state during the last 18 months, you may beeligible to file a new claim in that state.Minimum Earnings to Establish a Valid ClaimYou must have at least 1,300 in earnings in one quarter of your baseperiod or at least 900 in earnings in the highest quarter and 1.25 timesyour highest quarter earnings in your total base period.For example: If you have 900 earnings in your highest quarter, you wouldalso be required to have earned a total of 1,125 in the base period( 900 x 1.25 1,125).How UI Benefits are CalculatedThe quarter in which you were paid the highest wages during the baseperiod determines your weekly benefit amount (WBA). The WBA rangesfrom 40 to 450 per week.The maximum benefit amount is 26 times the weekly benefit amount orone-half of the total base period wages, whichever is less.Refer to the Unemployment Insurance Benefit Table on page 16 to estimateyour WBA.Base PeriodThere are two types of base periods used to establish a claim: the standardbase period and the alternate base period.DE 2320 (INTERNET)Page 4 of 19

Standard Base Period (SBP)The SBP is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior tothe beginning date of the claim.Refer to the chart below. The shaded area represents a standard baseperiod. The non-shaded area represents the quarter the claim is ECJANFEBMARIf your claimbegins te Base Period (ABP)If you do not have sufficient wages in the standard base period, you mayqualify to file a claim using the ABP.The ABP is the last four completed calendar quarters prior to the beginningdate of the claim.The EDD will automatically file an ABP claim on your behalf if you’re noteligible for a SBP claim.You may be asked to provide additional wage information so the EDDcan correctly calculate your benefit amount. If you receive an Affidavit ofWages (DE 23A), provide the requested documents and return to the EDD.Note: The ABP can only be used when there are not enough wages earnedin the standard base period to establish a claim.Refer to the chart below. The shaded area represents the ABP. The nonshaded area represents the quarter the claim is EPTOCTNOVDECJANFEBMARAPRMAYJUNEJULYAUGSEPTDE 2320 (INTERNET)If your claimbegins in:Page 5 of 19OCTNOVDEC

Waiting PeriodUnemployment Insurance claims have a mandatory, one week, unpaid waitingperiod. This waiting period generally takes effect on the first eligible week of aclaim and prior to benefits being paid. Do not wait to file your claim becausethe waiting period cannot be served until a claim has been filed.How to Certify for BenefitsTo serve your waiting period and receive benefit payments, you must meetall eligibility requirements and certify for benefits every two weeks.There are three ways to certify for benefits: UI OnlineSM: ( Online) This is the fastest way to certify forbenefits and report work and wages. To use UI Online, you must createa secure login through Benefit Programs Online and complete a onetime registration for UI Online.For added convenience, UI Online MobileSM is available for mobiledevices. EDD Tele-CertSM: 1-866-333-4606Certify over the phone by calling 1-866-333-4606. Select option 2 andfollow all instructions. To access EDD Tele-Cert you must create a PIN. Mail: Complete, sign, and mail the Continued Claim (DE 4581) form tothe EDD.Note: For faster processing, certify through UI Online or EDD Tele-Cert.PaymentsPayments are issued after you certify for benefits and continue to meet alleligibility requirements for every week you claim benefits.You have an option in how you receive your benefit payments. The EDDissues benefit payments by the EDD Debit CardSM or by check. The EDDDebit Card is the fastest and most secure way to receive your benefits.However, you do not have to accept. Once, your claim is filed, contact theEDD if you wish to receive your benefits by paper check.The EDD Debit Card is valid for three years and used for all DisabilityInsurance (DI), Paid Family Leave (PFL), and Unemployment Insurance (UI)benefits.If you have an EDD Debit Card from a previous DI, PFL, or UI claim thatis still valid, you will not be mailed a new card until the card has expired.If you need a replacement card, contact Bank of America EDD Debit CardCustomer service by calling 1-866-692-9374 or 1-866-656-5913 (TTY).For more information, visit Bank of America EDD Debit Card( 2320 (INTERNET)Page 6 of 19

Tax RequirementsUI benefits are subject to federal income tax, but exempt from Californiastate income tax. Each time you certify for benefits, you can choose towithhold the 10 percent federal income tax from your weekly benefitpayment. Otherwise, you may be required to pay the tax at the end of theyear, when you file your tax return.Each January, the EDD mails a Form 1099G to individuals who receivedUI benefits during the previous calendar year. Use the form to reportimportant tax information on your federal tax return. You can access Form1099G information for up to the past five years and/or request duplicatecopies through UI Online or by calling 1-866-401-2849.Child Support ObligationsYour UI benefits may be reduced if you’re required to pay child supportpayments to a court, District Attorney’s office, or other child supportenforcement agency.Report EarningsYou are required to report all work, wages, and other income to the EDDduring the week they were earned, not when you receive your pay. Failureto properly report your earnings can result in overpayments and penalties.Types of income to report: Piece work Vacation payIdle time pay In-lieu-of-notice payJury fees BonusesCommissions TipsWitness fees Self-employment incomeReuse pay Strike benefits/picket payHoliday pay Standby payHolding fees BereavementResiduals Back-payAwards Paid sick leaveWorkers’ Compensation pension, retirement, annuityNote: You must report board, lodging, meals, or any other payment youreceive instead of money when you work. If you are unsure abouthow to report wages, contact the EDD.Pension or Retirement PayUI benefits may be reduced if you are receiving a pension, retirement pay,annuity, or other similar payment based on your previous work.Social Security benefits are not deductible from UI benefits and do notneed to be reported to the EDD.DE 2320 (INTERNET)Page 7 of 19

Part-Time WorkIf you work less than full-time, you are required to report that work to theEDD. However, you may still be eligible for partial UI benefits. The first 25or 25 percent of your gross total earnings for the week (whichever is greater)will not be counted toward your benefit amount. The amount remaining willbe deducted from your weekly benefit amount.Example 1:Your weekly benefit amount is 50. You earn 30. You must report the 30;however, the first 25 is not counted, leaving 5 to deduct from your weeklybenefit amount. You would receive 45 ( 50 minus 5) in UI benefits.Example 2:Your weekly benefit amount is 400. You